Condo Blues: Porch Chair Revamp Take 2

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Porch Chair Revamp Take 2

I cheaped out on paint and fabric when I revamped the freebie chairs on my front porch. Well, even after living under a covered porch, the weather did a number on them and they looked like this a short time later.

Photobucket
   
 Ick.

 This revamp to the second power has been on my Do It Yourself Honey List for awhile. I better do it now before the weather turns too cold to paint outside.

Photobucket

 I scored a remnant of outdoor fabric at Old Time Pottery for the chair redo. I learned my lesson about using apparel weight fabric for outdoor projects.

Don’t.




As for paint, I found a pint of white outdoor paint the builder left for us. Environmentally friendly practice because I’m using what I already have and the price is right. Might be a nice change from the peeling green
paint. Let’s use that.

  Photobucket

If you open a can of paint and it looks like cottage cheese you might not want to use it. Just sayin’

Maybe not.

Plan B: I used the hunter green paint I had leftover from painting the front door. That worked well. Until I knocked over the paint can. No more green paint. D’oh!

 Plan C: Buy a can of good outdoor paint at the Habitat Restore. That way I can get a good paint for cheap (all of local paint and home improvement stores regularly donate new cans of oops paint to our Restore), help out a charity, and keep stuff out of the landfill. High fives all around. I looked at the clock. The Restore was closed. Ack!

 Plan D: Go to Lowes and buy a new can of paint. Fortunately the Home Improvement Gods decided to smile upon me after smacking me with repeated Condo Blues whammies. I found a gallon of extreme high end outdoor paint on the Oops Table that’s so close to the color I spilled it’s scary. A gallon was much more paint than I need but it was cheaper than the can of medium grade outdoor paint I planned to buy.

  Photobucket 

Did I mention it was five dollars?

Sold.

A couple of coats of paint, a bit of staple gun upholstery, and now I have a set of chairs on my porch that I won’t be ashamed to show off to the neighborhood moms when that small army of Trick or Treaters visits The Condo in a few weeks.


  Photobucket

 Yay me! Did you enjoy this post?

Get more like it by subscribing to the Condo Blues RSS feed  or subscribe to Condo Blues by email.

28 comments :

Erika Jean said...

Ahh! It turned out so cute!

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Gorgeous! Well done...

Charlene said...

Cute chairs, good job on the re-make-over!

happileah said...

Great job, It looks like it would be fun to sit in that chair ;)

Pam said...

Looks great in that pretty bright green. You did good.
Pam

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Oh.. spiffy! You sure gave those old chairs new life! And a nice new look for the outdoors to boot!

Donna

Robj98168 said...

Like the upholstery! LOL Like the link! She has some cool shelves made out of chairs on there.
P.S.- I put a post on making personalized clocks- this might be the answer for your nephews and tweeners.

Unknown said...

Wow! Such a resourceful girl you are, I probably would have thrown a fit and quit after spilling the paint! :)
Love the chairs, they look great.

Christina said...

You did a great job. A beautiful new chair for minimal cost.

Eugen Caitaz said...

I like your great work!!!

ChefDruck said...

Yeah you! Those chairs look awesome. I love your stick to itedness - all the way to plan D.

Now when will the trick or treaters be coming your way? On true Halloween or on some sort of other mysterious day?

And what will Britzkrieg be wearing?

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

Great re-do! I love it when the oops paints turns out to be the exact shade that you need!

Pop and Ice said...

Wow! Those chairs look absolutely spiffy!

nicóle said...

Awesome! I've been dying to strip our kitchen table and refinish it...just sooo scared to even attempt it!

Anonymous said...

Great DIY project! Very resourceful!

Morgan said...

Ahhh! I love the finished project, it is adorable. :) And I like your play-by-play of your journey to the finished project. Haha, you're absolutely right-- if the paint is 1) hard as a rock or 2) resembles cottage cheese...better not to use it.

I've never heard of the Habitat Restore before, what is that exactly?


Chair looks great-- you are so crafty!!
-M.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Chefdruck - The trick or treaters will be here on Oct 29th. Columbus thinks the kids might go wilding if we hold Halloween on the real Halloween which is a Saturday. Strange thing, last year they actually held it on Halloween which was a Friday and nothing happened out of the ordinary. *shakes head*

Blitzkrieg hasn't told me what he wants to be for Halloween yet. I feel a post coming on...

Morgan - The Babitat Restore is a thrift store of building supplies run by Habitat for Humanity. It helps raise the money they need to build houses. You can donate used building supplies there too. It's one of my favorite places to shop!

Cheryl said...

Great job! I love the colors. I wish I could reupholster stuff. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work and giving us inspiration!

Kristin - The Goat said...

and the green totally goes with the fabric you already purchased - Awesome! Can I come sit on your porch? :)

Kristin - The Goat

Julie said...

Cute redo. Thanks for visiting my blog and suggesting painting the fake paneling! I have thought about it. Might be a little tricky to pull off without a babysitter there. Maybe on a summer work day!

Unknown said...

Love the chairs. You did a really great job, Kudos! I work with ReadyMade magazine and if you're interested in some other worthwhile
diy ideas
, you should check them out.

nannykim said...

Wow--great transformation and YES right before all the spooky visitors come.

Anonymous said...

Great job on your chairs!

Jane said...

I love those Home Improvement Gods who hover over the oops shelf. More often than not I find what I need there. We have a Restore in Pasadena, but I have yet to make the trip there. Your chairs look great and it's so nice to see someone else blog about plans A-D.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

CUTE CUTE CUTE!!!

Thanks for joining in!!

Happy night,
melissa

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

I love it! I actually have two chairs that are almost exactly like that one that I painted and reuholstered. You can see mine here:

http://blog.addicted2decorating.com/2009/02/introducing-vintage-chic-by-kristi.html

It's towards the bottom of the post, and they aren't exactly the same, but pretty darn similar! It's fun to see how chairs that are so similar in shape can end up looking so different!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I love that you fought on trying to get a great deal on that paint. It turned out great!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

What an awesome makeover!! I'm stopping by as the guest judge from CSI Project!
happy crafting,
Linda

Post a Comment

I love comments and read them all! If you’re shy and don’t want your opinions made public, you can always email me at condoblues [at] gmail [dot] com.